What you'll need
- 4 Large Maris Piper Potatoes
- 50g Pure Slightly Salted Vegan Butter
- 20g Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 200g Purple Sprouting Broccoli
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garam Masala
- Salt & Pepper
The beauty of this recipe is that the main components can be done in advance and makes a great vegan dish that everyone will enjoy. Packed with crisp earthy shards of beetroot steeped in a deliciously syrupy red wine sauce, our Beetroot Relish is perfect with cold meats, pork pies and adds a refreshing touch to smoked mackerel and trout!
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks, cover in cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt and cook the broccoli until tender. Remove from the heat, run under cold water until cool, and drain.
- Drain the potatoes and allow the steam to dry them. Next, mash the potatoes. For the best results, we use a potato ricer.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Stokes Beetroot Relish, chopped coriander, Pure slightly salted vegan butter, season with salt & pepper and mix well.
- Allow to cool slightly and form into 4 even-sized potato cakes (All prep before this point can be done in advance).
- Heat a frying pan and add a splash of olive oil. Dust each potato cake with flour and pan fry for a few minutes on each side until golden.
- Transfer to a hot oven (180C) and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using the same frying pan, add a dash of olive oil and add the cooked broccoli. Season with salt & pepper, sprinkle over a teaspoon of garam masala and fry until slightly browned.
- Serve the potato cakes topped with the sprouting broccoli and a green salad for a simple tasty light lunch.
- As always, enjoy!