What you'll need
- 500g Red Lentils.
- 1 White Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Stokes Chilli Jam
- 1 Beef Tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 3 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 bunch fresh Coriander, chopped
- 3 Veg stock Cubes
- 1.5 Litres cold water
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
Lentils don’t need pre soaking as other pulses, however I find an overnight soak and a wash reduces any scum you tend to get when cooking lentils.
- Heat a splash of Olive Oil
- Add the Onion and cook until soft.
- Add the spices, Stokes Chilli Jam and Tomato, and cook for a few minutes
- Drain the lentils and add to the pan
- Add the Veg stock and Water
- Season with a couple of pinches of Sea Salt
- Bring to the boil and simmer for One to One and a half hours until the lentils are soft. (Remove any scum from the top of the soup if necessary)
- Stir in the fresh Coriander
- Serve with warm Flatbreads ands Stokes Mango Chutney.