What you'll need
- 2 Poussins
- 50g Butter
- 2 Red Peppers
- 2 Yellow Peppers
- 2 Red Onions
- 1 bunch Vine Tomatoes
- A few sprigs off fresh Rosemary & Thyme
- For the Salsa Verde:
- 1 bunch fresh Coriander
- 3 Spring Onions roughly chopped.
- 80g Capers
- 2 cloves of Garlic, peeled.
- Juice of 1 Lemon.
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt.
- 4 Tablespoons Stokes Mint Sauce
- 350ml Cold pressed Rapeseed Oil
Andy’s salsa verde with these spatchcocked poussins is a truly refreshing combination. Our twist in a classic Mint Sauce is made with sweet garden mint, white wine vinegar and unrefined raw cane sugar for simply delicious recipe.
- Place the Poussin on a chopping board, breast down. Using poultry scissors, cut either side of the backbone and discard. Turn the Poussin over and using the palm of your hand press down so the Poussin are flat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy frying pan, add butter and olive oil and fry the Poussin until golden brown.
- Transfer onto a roasting tray and bake in a hot oven (180°C) for 30-35 mins until the juices run clear.
- Roughly chop the peppers, removing the seeds. Peel and quarter the red onions. Using the same pan as the Poussin, add the chopped vegetables, season with salt & pepper and add the herbs. (You may need to add an extra splash of olive oil)
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are nicely golden and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Brush the vine tomatoes with olive oil and place on the same tray. Cook in a hot oven for about 20 minutes.
- For the Salsa Verde: add the fresh coriander, spring onions, garlic, capers, Stokes mint sauce and sea salt into a food processer.
- Blend together and slowly drizzle in the rapeseed oil. Season with black pepper and lemon juice.