What you'll need
- Thick White Bread
- 2oz Butter
- 2oz Plain Flour
- 1 Pint of Milk
- 100g Grated Mature Cheddar
- 100ml Dark Ale
- Salt & Pepper
For a special touch, add a fried egg and maple-cured bacon for the perfect brunch dish!
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and once melted, stir in the flour. Cook the mix on a low heat until it goes a sandy colour.
- Remove from the heat and add a splash of milk and stir in. Put back on the heat and add the milk in stages, mixing in each time.
- Once all the milk has been added, stir in the beer, English Mustard and half of the cheese. Cook over a low heat for 5 mins whilst stirring occasionally and the sauce is nice and thick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool and then spread the mixture on thick slices on your favourite bread (we used Sourdough).
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill for roughly 10 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- As always, enjoy!